I will rejoice and be glad in it. Sometimes it is an act of the will to look back over the week and be grateful. Once I start listing what God has done, the gratitude continues. I’m not quite to the place of Corrie ten Boom, who thanked God for the lice and bedbugs that kept the Nazi guards from her barracks. I am thankful for other things He has done this week:
- Going deep into God’s word and meeting the Holy Spirit there to help work out my salvation with fear and trembling.
- Encountering Jehovah Jireh, the Lord Who Provides or The Lord Who Will See to It, in faith that He will
- Gentle kindness of friends who sit quietly with us in our hour of need.
- Four generations of our family sitting around our table eating beans and cornbread.
- Grandparents’ admiration of their grandchildren’s accomplishments.
- Prayers of righteous men and women that accomplish so much. (James 5:16)
- Stars in a clear, early morning sky
- Living in a country where I can take my kids with me to vote
- Realizing perfect love casts out all fear (1 John 4:18)